Travis Scott has been slammed by the family of the youngest Astroworld tragedy victim for showing off his $5.5 million luxury car.
In November 2021, 10 people were killed and thousands injured in Scott’s stampede at a concert at the Astroworld music festival, including 9-year-old Ezra Blount.
Ezra’s family sued Scott before the child died from his injuries, and others followed, sparking a flurry of lawsuits.
However, as lawsuits piled up, Scott’s drive in the $5.5 million Bugatti Veyron Chiron Super Sport drew a backlash as the family’s lawyers called the rapper’s luxury purchases “excessive.”
Ezra would still be alive today enjoying his summer if Scott spent half of what he paid for a Bugatti at the deadly festival for simple safety measures, Bob Hillard, the family attorney’s attorney, told TMZ.
But a spokesman for Scott told TMZ that the car was purchased in 2020 — before the Astronomical World tragedy.
Travis Scott is seen with his $5.5 million Bugatti Veyron Chiron Super Sport on June 21, 2022, prompting the family of the youngest Astroworld victim to slam him
Family lawyer Bob Hillard tells TMZ that if Scott spent half the security he paid for Bugatti at deadly music festival, Ezra would be alive today
Ezra Blount, 9, poses at the entrance to the Astroworld Music Festival.He is the youngest victim of the November 2021 tragedy
“This latest attempt to exploit Astroworld victims and gas the media and the public is a new low,” the representative said.
“This car was purchased in 2020 (well before the Astroworld tragedy) when it was widely reported by the media including TMZ. Misrepresenting the purchase of the car from two years ago and making unwarranted attacks on Travis Scott An unprovoked attack, which is nothing more than another desperate publicity stunt, trying to falsely accuse Travis and deliberately manipulate public opinion, is not going to work.
A stampede at Scott’s concert last year killed 10 people and injured more than 4,900, a court filing in May showed, with the total number of injured concertgoers much higher than initially reported.
Ten Deadly Victims of Astronomy – (Clockwise) Madison Dubisky, 23; John Hilgert, 14; Batishahani, 22; Axel Acosta , 21; Brianna Rodriguez, 16; Mirza Baig, 27; Franco Patino, 21; Jacob Jurenick, 21; Angel Peña, 23; and Ezra Blunt, 9
Emergency workers respond to the Astroworld music festival in November.Scott has repeatedly denied responsibility for the tragedy
Ambulances tend to serve panicked crowds at Astroworld Festival in November.More than 4,900 people report injuries at concerts
A woman who says she lost her pregnancy after being injured in a crowd at the Astroworld Festival has also sued Scott and festival organisers for the wrongful death of her unborn baby.
Shanazia Williamson and her husband Jarawd Owens of Dayton, Ohio, said they were expecting a child while attending the Astroworld music festival on Nov. 5, 2021. They said they lost their fetus as a result of Williamson’s injuries at the festival.
In December, Williamson and Owens filed a lawsuit against Scott, festival promoters Live Nation and ScoreMore, security firms Valle Services SMG and ASM Global, and Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation.
“While attending the festival, Shanazia was trampled and crushed, causing horrific injuries that culminated in the death of her and Jarawd’s unborn child,” the lawsuit states. “In addition, Shanazia’s shoulders, back, legs, chest, and Injuries, stomach and other parts of her body.
The lawsuit also alleges that the defendants did not provide adequate security or medical personnel and that they did not recognize the dangers of the event setup.
The Williamson and Owens lawsuit is one of hundreds filed against Scott and the companies involved in the festival. Scott, his brand Cactus Jack, Live Nation, ScoreMore, Apple, the festival’s security company, and the venue itself all face billions of dollars in damage from injured festival personnel.
The deadly incident has created numerous legal woes for Scott, as well as public backlash over his alleged handling of the deadly incident.
Scott is expected to perform at his first festival after Astroworld in November.He will be hosting the Primavera Sound festival in November and will perform three shows, with New Zealand singer Lorde in the lineup ahead of him
He was fired to headline Coachella in 2022, as well as last year’s Day N Vegas festival.
Lawyers Jason Itkin, Richard Mithoff and Sean Roberts said 732 victims were seriously injured in the aftermath of the stampede and required extensive medical attention.
They claim a further 1,649 received less extensive treatment and that the severity of the injuries to 2,540 concertgoers is still under review, Rolling Stone first reported.
The document does not specify what “broad” or “less extensive” treatments include.
They also declined to disclose the monetary damages victims are suing for. Earlier reports said that about 125 people filed a civil lawsuit against Scott and the concert promoter Live Nation, with potential damages of up to $750 million.
Live Nation and the festival’s main security company, Contemporary Services, have denied all allegations against them.
Scott himself has always denied responsibility for the tragedy in the astronomical world.
He will be hosting the Primavera Sound festival in November and will play three shows, with New Zealand singer Lorde ahead of him.