SAN DIEGO – On Monday night, the Red Sox met with agent Scott Boras and discussed free-shortstop agent Xander Bogaerts. But according to a source familiar with the conversation, no progress has been made toward reaching an agreement.
And so I continued a slow-moving process that included the four-time Red Sox and All-Star, who Boras said he has now personally met with representatives from several teams, including several owners. The Sox did not have a face-to-face meeting with Bogaerts during his free agency.
“They and Xander have been together for years,” Porras said.
As Monday’s conversation indicated, the team is still engaged in talks about the short hiatus. Chief Baseball Officer Chaim Blum said Monday that retaining Bogart remains the team’s priority offseason, but the team has always expected Bogaerts to fully explore his free agent market before making any decision about his future.
Is this approach too negative?
“I don’t know their strategy. I don’t know their strategy,” Boras said during a 30-minute media session. “Red Sox, they kind of have four-star ownership. These guys have come over time to win and continue to win. . . I think everyone around them understands that Sox without the “X” are So-So.”
Bloom expressed his amusement at Borras’ wordplay, but disagreed with the agent’s assessment.
“We think we’ll be good,” Bloom said. “Hopefully with Xander. We really do. If that doesn’t work out, we’re still intent on being a playoff-caliber team.”
However, the possibility of Bogaerts leaving is becoming increasingly real as the offseason progresses. Porras described a market in which multiple teams have pitched multiple offers to his short-lived clients (Bogarts and Carlos Correa) in recent days. And through his meetings with other potential bidders, Boras said Bogaerts has developed increasing comfort with a range of teams.
“Zander has now had the opportunity to exercise his right as a free agent. He has met a range of teams, and has seen who he is in the eyes of the many opponents he has played against. I think it has been a very comprehensive process, which has given him a greater understanding of who he is in the world. Baseball.” “He has also learned the approaches of many teams and owners. The owners who met him were really impressed, and he is with them. It’s been a real learning for him in the last month or so.”
Interestingly, while Porras said all his discussions with other teams have revolved around signing Bogaerts as a shortstop for 2023, the agent has identified the versatility of potential future locations as one of the 30-year-old’s selling points.
“Xander’s strengths are OPS. He has elite bat-to-ball skills. I think Xander ages really well in this game because of his ballplaying skills, because of his multi-position abilities to play third and second base and his arm strength,” said Boras. Xander hits a lot of drive lines at Fenway. Many of them will be at home elsewhere. for him [slugging]His rule is true qualities for anyone who plays on dirt.”
Porras suggested that if another team pushed toward completing a deal for Bogaerts or any of its players, the former team would not give the player one last chance to outbid their opponent.
“We’re not the conformist type. Teams tell us they have to confirm,” Porras said. “We never back down from reaching an agreement with any team and we certainly don’t give market advantage to anyone. Otherwise, I think the free agent’s right would be weakened if I did.”
Alex Speier can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter at @tweet. Peter Abraham can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @tweet.